07 August 2013

Sometimes Life Sneaks Up On You

I've spent a large percentage of my life around people who are different - people who are odd and strange and outside the norm. While not all of these people are naturally introverted - by the time they are adults, most at least have become apparently introverted in that they've isolated themselves further and further from the masses of humanity.

Those who work in emotionally and psychologically demanding jobs seem to experience this transformation more often than others - which makes sense as we are talking about a survival tactic here.

I know that many have described me as introverted myself (though I prefer to call myself a misanthropic extrovert).

So I have a lot of empathy for the outsiders and the introverts.

Today I took a break from working on some contractual stuff to fuck about on social media and clicked on a link to a trailer for a new movie (thanks to Joshua Ellis). And my heart shattered.




Moving, magical, terrifying....

I know I speak for many when I describe this as one of my deepest and most atavistic fears. I quite literally felt hair rise on the back of my neck while watching this.

I know I speak for many when I say that were it not for my incredible luck -- that somehow I ended up  finding someone who I love and who shockingly enough loves me and wants to be around me -- this could be a future me.

I'm still shaking.
I've not been able to re-watch the trailer.

I can't wait to see the move - and am deeply, deeply frightened by it.

To all my introverted friends... to all my friends who feel alone...
We're in this together.

2 Comments:

At 11:58 AM, Blogger d.ross said...

I always thought that it was a high rate of aspergers

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Vincent Barr said...

"Misanthropic extrovert" - ha, I like that. Might have to borrow it.

This looks like a movie worth watching.

I wonder how many steps away we are from A) online dating becoming the dominant and preferred form of selecting mates and B) this.

Data scientists at online dating companies must have the ability to recognize some interesting/awesome/terrifying trends about dating. It's too bad OkCupid killed its blog (http://blog.okcupid.com/).

At least we know that robots aren't yet ready to love (http://realitypod.com/2010/10/robot-programmed-to-fall-in-love-with-a-girl-goes-too-far/), appropriately, at least.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home