28 June 2008

Models

In my job - and in my life - I've become increasingly obsessed with the human mind's attraction to simplified and/or universal models. And along the way I've become convinced that resisting this attraction provides the key to understanding.
all models are wrong, some are useful - George Box
I would actually rewrite this anecdote to read something slightly different. My new belief is that we should think of this as...

All models are wrong. All models are useful. Therefore the more models you have and use the more understanding you will have.

This applies to business. It applies to strategy. It applies to espresso and it applies to the technique for paddling outrigger canoes. Is it right? No... 'cause it's just another model. But as a "meta model" you could argue that it is "more right" than any single model.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home